Friday, October 19, 2012

The Friday Folio: Oct. 19, 2012

Every Friday, I'm going to post the best things I've come across by the end of the week: music, other blogs, art etc. This week is music-heavy...I didn't think you'd mind :)

Enjoy this week's findings!


First off is something rather dated (from Nov. 2010), but if you haven't heard it--now is the time! An all-star team of string players (including Yo Yo Ma and a new obsession of mine, Chris Thile) perform in the vein of Bluegrass for the Tiny Desk Concert series. The quartet plays three pieces from their album (The Goat Rodeo Sessions) so expertly and beautifully, it's beyond well worth the 15 min 42 seconds. Give it a listen. 



The Stray Birds & Three Tall Pines

On Wednesday night, I drove into Boston to Club Passim  to see a band I've been a follower of since spring, The Stray Birds (on left) perform on a co-bill with the Boston-local Three Tall Pines (bottom left). Passim was packed, and the bands didn't disappoint the expectant crowd. Surely in the vein of folk/roots/Americana, these groups combine expert instrumentals with nostalgic, beautiful song-writing.
Multiple stringed instruments and tight harmonies are the solid foundation upon which these groups expand into new musical territory. 

Look out for a future focus post on The Stray Birds...those guys are my jam!

images courtesy of thestraybirds.com & threetallpines.com 




Last, but not least: Lake Street Dive's cover of "I Want You Back" just gives me the happiest, goofiest smile--they're harmonies are rich and warm like a blanket of music, and the soloist...well...you'll see. Thanks, Mom, for sending these guys my way! 


Comment or tweet me if you like what you hear! 




No comments:

Post a Comment